Do you have a tour operator business in Uganda? Are you interested in upscaling your sustainable and inclusive tourism products? And do you want an improved market position in the European Union (EU)? The Netherlands Centre for the Promotion of Imports from developing countries (CBI) can help you. This new 4-year project for tour operator coaching in Uganda aims to make the Ugandan tourism industry more sustainable. It will do this by improving access to European markets for sustainable and community tourism products.
This project focuses on transforming the Ugandan travel industry into a resilient, environmentally and socially conscious sector that offers sustainable and diverse tourism products. One of the project goals is to enable tour operators to attract travellers from diverse sustainability market segments, travellers that spend more, stay longer and visit year-round.
CBI supports the creation of durable service delivery systems in the Ugandan tourism sector. These systems allow Ugandan companies to develop and provide services for Ugandan tour operators. These services include:
- digital marketing for the tourism sector;
- sustainable tourism certification; and
- tour operator training services.
This project provides sustainable support via technical support only. Together with the private sector, CBI will carry out activities to create systemic change.
What can you expect from this CBI project?
CBI offers technical assistance through a practical business coaching project. CBI helps your company develop the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the tourism sector. The project includes:
- Multiple-year one-on-one coaching for you and your staff. Highly-qualified CBI experts provide coaching. This is tailored to your specific needs;
- Support to help you establish a network of partners in promising markets. For example, via roadshows or matchmaking;
- Training courses about specific subjects, such as digital marketing, sustainable tourism certification and developing inclusive community tourism products.
Who can apply?
You can apply for this project if you are an inbound tour operator company that meets the following requirements:
- SME with at least 5 FTEs and a maximum of 50 FTEs;
- 50% or more locally owned or has a local management structure;
- Registered in the Quality Assurance System via the Uganda Tourism Board website;
- Already does business with European markets or wants to enter the European market;
- Active in the tour operating industry for at least 2 to 3 years before the COVID-19 pandemic started;
- Committed to sustainable tourism;
- Interested in expanding its sustainable and inclusive community tourism offering.
What do we expect from you?
CBI is looking for ambitious and highly motivated SMEs that are:
- Pro-active and flexible;
- Willing to integrate sustainable tourism into the business practices and add new inclusive community tourism products to their portfolio;
- Eager to learn about the subjects discussed during CBI activities, and will take part in all CBI visits, workshops and training sessions;
- Motivated to take part for the full 4 years (2022-2025);
- Willing to provide CBI and its partners with their company name, logo, photos and achievements for promotion of the project;
- Willing to inform CBI about the company’s progress, achievements and growth data like revenue and employment. CBI will treat the provided information as confidential.
- Ambitious and motivated to take the next step with their company.
You do not have to pay a fee to take part in this project. CBI will finance most project costs. But participants must pay for the following costs:
- Flights and your other travel expenses for European trade show activities or roadshows.
- Domestic travel expenses if training sessions are outside your city.
- Part of the costs related to specialised activities. These include membership for sustainability certification, trade fair costs and a small fee for specialised training sessions.
Please check this page for updates on new partners.
The deadline for completing the application form was 28 March 2022.
For questions or more information, please contact us at email@example.com. We will contact you by 30 March 2022 if we select your company for the next phase in the application process.