* Application deadline
Do you have a business in the Shea sector in Nigeria? Are you interested in an improved market position in the European Union (EU)? The Netherlands Centre for the Promotion of Imports from developing countries (CBI) can help you. If you want an improved market position in the EU, CBI’s Shea Nigeria project offers you good opportunities:
- Find out which opportunities there are for your company in the European markets;
- Learn more about European requirements, legislation and certification;
- Learn everything you need to know to be a successful exporter;
- Get assistance from our sector experts;
- Exhibit at leading international trade fairs.
Provisional application deadline: 31 May 2022
This project helps selected Nigerian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and cooperatives establish themselves in EU and regional markets. It focuses on fairly-sourced shea from women producers.
This project aims to:
- Generate high-value and sustainably-produced shea products for the regional and EU markets;
- Generate decent work for women; and
- Ensure the long-term sustainability of the Nigerian shea sector.
To achieve these goals, the project will focus on :
- Market Development: Helping selected Nigerian Shea export organisations become competitive, add value and access the EU market.
- Women producers: Improving the incomes of women producer groups. Ensuring health and safety measures are in place for several women producer groups;
- Shea sector: Helping sector stakeholders jointly define and develop a sector export marketing plan.
What can you expect from this CBI project?
CBI offers technical assistance through practical business export coaching. This project is for (aspiring) SMEs in the Nigerian Shea sector. CBI prepares your company with the skills and knowledge you need to enter the European market. The project includes:
- Support from our shea sector expert and other local and international experts during this 4-year project;
- Help to find out which opportunities there are for your company in the European market;
- Help with how to search for relevant market research;
- Training on market requirements. This includes training on Corporate Social Responsibility, legislation and certification for your market entry plans;
- Help to prepare for certification;
- Assistance with the creation of your organisation’s export marketing plan;
- Participation in international trade fairs;
- Help to improve your supply chain. The project will work with producers to improve business practices;
- A market orientation mission to Europe.
Who can apply?
Sector: Natural Ingredients
You can apply for this project if your company meets these requirements:
- Type of company:
- SMEs, cooperatives, processors, exporters with up to 250 employees;
- Offers shea-based products;
- At least 51% locally owned.
- No joint venture with an organisation based in a non-developing country;
- No licensing commitments that prohibit or limit exports to the EU;
- Competitive prices and sufficient production capacity;
- Management that can communicate in English.
What do we expect from you?
CBI is looking for ambitious and highly motivated SMEs that are:
- Pro-active and flexible;
- Fully committed to the activities and external coaching throughout the project;
- Willing to invest time into the action plan made for their company;
- Willing to meet international market requirements;
- Willing to invest in improving CSR practices in their company;
- Ambitious and motivated to take the next step with their company.
As well as:
- Willing to pay for costs related to activities. For example, part of the costs for trade fair participation and sustainability activities. CBI and its partners do not cover the costs of travelling, lodging and sending samples;
- Willing to take part with dedicated and qualified people during all CBI visits, workshops and training sessions. Please note that all activities will be in English;
- Committed to investing in the necessary changes to become successful in the European market and increase sustainability. Changes may apply to staff allocation, products, production and export marketing;
- Willing to, if necessary, build on a good relationship with collectors;
- Willing to provide CBI and its partners with their company’s name, logo, achievements and the details of new business contacts for promotion of the project;
- Willing to inform CBI about the company’s progress on export and sustainability. CBI will treat the provided information as confidential.
You do not have to pay a fee to take part in this project. CBI will finance most project costs. But participants must pay for the following costs:
- Flights and other travel expenses for European trade show activities. Please note that CBI will cover the costs of the Market Orientation Mission;
- Domestic travel expenses if training sessions are outside your city.
CBI does not provide financial assistance to individual companies or support organisations.
The provisional deadline for completing the application form is 31 May 2022.
For questions or more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also join one of our introductory one-day workshops in Abuja or Lagos in May or June 2022. For more details, please send an email to email@example.com to express your interest in attending.