Cashew Cote D’Ivoire
Are you a cashew processor in Cote D’Ivoire or Benin? Are you interested in exporting to different international markets? If you are, CBI’s Cashew project in Cote D’Ivoire and Benin offers you good opportunities:
- Find out which opportunities there are for your company on the European market;
- Learn more about requirements, legislation and certification;
- Increase your competitiveness;
- Learn everything you need to know to be a successful exporter;
- Get support and assistance from our sector expert;
- Participate in tailor made matchmaking;
- Exhibit at a leading international trade fair.
This project aims to increase the export of Cashew kernels (Cashews that has been shelled and peeled) from Cote D’Ivoire and Benin directly to Europe. The project aims to support both countries to reach the tipping point where they are able to process and export Cashew kernels directly to Europe much beyond the current 10% of their raw Cashew nuts. This is a transformation compared to the current situation.
The programme begins Q1 2020 and will end in 2024. Before starting the programme we researched the cashew sector in several African countries. Of these Benin and Cote D’Ivoire stood out, both in terms of the importance of the sector as well as in terms of the government policy and support. Cote D’Ivoire is the largest raw cashew producer (RCN) worldwide and on the brink to transition of producer and exporter of in-shell cashew nuts to becoming a producer of market-ready cashew nut kernels. Benin has a high RCN production and cashews account for 25% of their export.
The demand for cashew kernels in the EU market increases at around 6% per year and there is an interest among EU buyers to broaden their supply base for cashew kernels from the current processing countries Vietnam and India.
What can you expect from a CBI programme?
CBI offers technical assistance through a practical Business Export Coaching programme designed for (aspiring) exporting small- and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in the cashew sector from Cote D’Ivoire and Benin. CBI prepares your company with the skills and knowledge you need to enter into the mid and mid high (end) segments of the European market by providing you with:
- One-on-one multiple year coaching for you and your staff on doing business in the European market, aimed at your specific needs, by highly qualified CBI experts;
- Training courses about specific subjects, such as Market Access Requirements, certification and developing a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) plan;
- Participation in the one-week Market Orientation Mission to Europe;
- Assistance with developing your Export Marketing Plan;
- Assistance in what certification is suitable to your market entry strategy and coaching to obtain the certification you need;
- Assistance with implementation of your CSR Action Plan;
- Business to Business matchmaking with international buyers;
- Participation in and guidance in preparation for leading international trade fairs or other market entry activities;
- Training on Market Consolidation after the trade fairs and export marketing mission.
What do we expect from you as a participant?
CBI is looking for ambitious and highly motivated processors that are:
- Pro-active with a flexible attitude;
- Fully committed to the activities and external coaching throughout the programme;
- Willing to pay for costs related to activities such as part of the costs for trade fair participation and sustainability activities (CBI and its partners do not cover costs of traveling, lodging and sending in samples);
- Willing to participate with dedicated and qualified people in all CBI visits, workshops and trainings;
- Showing eagerness to actively pursue knowledge on the subjects discussed during the individual support meetings, workshops and trainings;
- Sufficient time investment to the tailor made action plan for your company;
- Willing to inform CBI about the company’s progress in terms of export and sustainability (CBI will treat the provided information as confidential);
- Committed to invest in necessary adaptations such as product assortment and production processes, also in terms of staff allocation, to become successful on the European market and to increase overall sustainability;
- Willing to provide CBI and its partners with the company’s name, logo and achievements for promotion of the programme.
Who can participate in the programme?
The programme is designed for ambitious cashew processors from Cote D’Ivoire and Benin who are eager to expand their export activities to the European market and fit the following profile:
- Company is a cashew processor and performing the export function itself;
- In a position to export to Europe in terms of minimum size of company;
- Compliance or the willingness to comply with EU market requirements;
- Competitive prices and sufficient production capacity;
- Management which is able to communicate in English;
- No licensing commitments that prohibit or limit export possibilities of products to the European market;
- SME: between 25 and 500 permanent employees*;
- At least 51% non-foreign ownership*;
- No joint venture with a company based in a country with a classification of LMIC or higher*.
*Can be reviewed on case by case basis
CBI will work with main stakeholders in each country to take away barriers to export and increase the competitiveness of cashew processors. The partners include amongst others: Conseil du Coton et Anacarde (CCA) and Group of Industrial Cashew processors (GIC-CI) in Cote D’Ivoire; the Interprofessional Cashew organization (IFA) and the Council of Cashew processors (CNTC) in Benin; and the African Cashew Alliance (ACA) and ComCashew in both countries.