Cashew Côte d’Ivoire
* Application deadline
Are you a cashew processor in Côte d’Ivoire or Benin? Are you interested in exporting to different international markets? If you are, CBI’s cashew project in Côte d’Ivoire and Benin offers you good opportunities:
- Find out which opportunities there are for your company on the European market;
- Learn more about requirements, legislation and certification;
- Increase your competitiveness;
- Learn everything you need to know to be a successful exporter;
- Get assistance from our sector experts;
- Participate in tailor-made matchmaking;
- Exhibit at a leading international trade fair.
This project aims to increase the export of cashew kernels (cashews that have been shelled and peeled) from Côte d’Ivoire and Benin to Europe. The project aims to help both countries to reach a point where they can process and export cashew kernels to Europe. At the moment, these countries only export 10% of their raw cashew nuts.
Send your completed form to email@example.com
Application deadline: 5 January 2022
This project begins in the first quarter of 2020 and will end in 2024. Before starting the project, we researched the cashew sector in several African countries. Benin and Côte d’Ivoire stood out due to the importance of the sector and government policy and support. Côte d’Ivoire is the largest raw cashew nut (RCN) producer worldwide. The country is almost ready to move from exporting in-shell cashew nuts to becoming a producer of market-ready cashew nut kernels. Benin has a high RCN production rate. Cashews make up 25% of their export.
The demand for cashew kernels in the EU market increases at around 6% per year. EU buyers are interested in expanding their supply base for cashew kernels from the current processing countries Vietnam and India.
What can you expect from this CBI project?
CBI offers technical assistance through a practical business export coaching project. This project is for (aspiring) exporting small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the cashew sector in Côte d’Ivoire and Benin. CBI prepares your company with the skills and knowledge you need to enter the European market. The project includes:
- Multiple-year one-on-one coaching for you and your staff. Highly-qualified CBI experts provide coaching. This is aimed at your specific needs;
- Training on specific topics, such as market access requirements, certification and developing a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) plan;
- Participation in a one-week market orientation mission to Europe;
- Help to develop your export marketing plan;
- Advice on what certification is suitable to your market entry strategy;
- Coaching to get the certification you need;
- Help with implementing your CSR action Plan;
- Business to business matchmaking with international buyers;
- Participation in leading international trade fairs or other market entry activities. CBI will help you prepare for these;
- Training on market consolidation after the trade fairs and export marketing mission.
Who can participate in the project?
This project is for ambitious cashew processors from Côte d’Ivoire and Benin who want to expand their export activities to the European market. To apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- Type of company:
- Cashew processor and exporter;
- SME: between 25 and 500 permanent employees;
- At least 51% locally owned;
- In a position to export to Europe;
- Willing to meet EU market requirements;
- Competitive prices and sufficient production capacity;
- Management that can communicate in English;
- No licensing commitments that prohibit or limit export to the European market;
- No joint venture with a company based in a country with a classification of LMIC or higher*.
*Can be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
What do we expect from you?
CBI is looking for ambitious and highly motivated processors that are:
- Pro-active with a flexible attitude;
- Fully committed to the project and activities;
- Willing to pay for costs not covered by CBI or partners related to market entry and sustainability activities. This includes costs for travelling, accommodation, sending samples, and so on;
- Willing to take part with the right people in all CBI visits, workshops and training sessions;
- Eager to actively learn about the subjects discussed during individual support, workshops and training sessions;
- Willing to invest time into the tailor-made action plan for your company;
- Willing to inform CBI about the companies export, sustainability and inclusiveness progress. CBI treats this information as confidential;
- Committed to investing in the necessary changes to become successful in the European market and increase sustainability. Changes may apply to staff allocation, your products, production and export marketing;
- Willing to provide CBI and its partners with their company’s name, logo and achievements for promotion of the project.
CBI will work with main stakeholders to take away barriers to export and increase the competitiveness of cashew processors. The partners in Cote D’Ivoire include amongst others: Conseil du Coton et Anacarde (CCA) and Group of Industrial Cashew processors (GIC-CI). Also the project works together with the International Trade Centre (ITC)’s United Kingdom Trade Partnerships (UKTP), the African Cashew Alliance (ACA) and ComCashew.