Specialty Roasted Coffee (Colombia)
Specialty Coffee Colombia is part of our integrated country programme for Colombia. The country programme covers six different sectors with a lot of export potential. In the specialty coffee programme, we are working with twelve companies who roast their own coffee.
This is a pioneering project. Traditionally, the coffee sold in Europe is roasted exclusively by European companies. This means coffee growers only export green beans, usually in bulk. The market for bulk coffee is very competitive. Margins are very low and it is difficult to get a stable income.
Our aim in this programme is to help Colombian companies export roasted coffee to Europe. This means they can get higher margins. Our research has shown us that Colombia’s coffee sector has the strength and knowledge to do this successfully. Demand among European consumers for new, specialty coffees is high.
In addition to supporting individual coffee companies, we are also working on strengthening the sector as a whole.
This programme began in 2015 and will end in 2018. In 2015 we selected companies to participate. Then we invited them to Europe to receive export marketing training. They also visited European businesses and trade events. This helps them to understand the European market better. Our experts also visit each company individually.
We are helping the sector in many different ways, for example:
- We have helped the companies set up a Roasters Guild aimed at raising product quality
- We are supporting the government in making export procedures simpler and quicker
- We are exploring the creation of a ‘100% Colombian Coffee’ brand
- We are seeking foreign investors, for example, to finance innovative packaging concepts that will do well in Europe
- We are studying Europe’s market access requirements for roasted coffee (the requirements for green coffee are already well-known)
- We are exploring alternative strategies, such as online sales or roasting at European facilities
The final phase in this programme is market entry. This involves exploring sales channels, connecting with prospective buyers and exhibiting at European trade fairs, coffee festivals and by setting up business agenda’s with potential buyers in Europe.
Project participants and products
A total of 12 companies are taking part in this programme. They all want to export roasted coffee.
Meet the participants
You can contact CBI to get in touch with these exporters.
Another possibility is to meet these potential suppliers at one of the next big trade fairs we will attend with them in Europe. Contact CBI for further details.
Get involved as an importer
Are you a European importer interested in roasted coffee from Colombia? If you are, you can contact CBI to find out more or to meet with potential suppliers who have been trained for export to Europe.