Specialty Coffee Rwanda
Duration: 2019 to 2022
Open for applications!
Do you have a coffee business in Rwanda? Are you interested in exporting your specialty coffee to Europe? If you are, CBI’s Specialty Coffee Rwanda programme offers you good opportunities
- Find out which opportunities there are for your company on the European market;
- Learn more about European requirements, legislation and certification;
- Learn everything you need to know to be a successful exporter;
- Get support and assistance from our sector experts;
- Exhibit at leading European trade fairs
Please click here to apply for this programme
(application deadline: 15 June 2019)
Please send the completed application form for the Rwanda Specialty Coffee Programme to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
The programme starts in March 2019 and will end in 2022. Before starting the programme we researched the specialty coffee value chain. The European market for specialty coffee is growing significantly and offers great opportunities for suppliers of high-quality coffees. An increasing number of European consumers is prepared to pay higher prices for high-quality coffee that is traceable and has a special story. Rwanda has competitive advantages as a supplier of specialty coffees, particularly because of its relatively high quality, potential for further improvement, good processing structure and the story there is to tell. There is a lot of opportunity in developing market demand for Rwandan coffees, if quality continues to improve and product differentiation is promoted.
The goal of our project is to develop a high value, sustainable specialty coffee export sector in Rwanda that can do independently business in EU markets. Our objective is to help the coffee sector move forward on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) subjects climate adaptation and mitigation, youth employment in coffee, gender equality, and decent jobs.
What can you expect from a CBI project?
- 4 year company + sector coaching by different international and local coffee specialists;
- Training and coaching on:
- EU market segments, market developments and EU legal and buyer requirements;
- Your product readiness, market proposition and your supporting internal processes;
- Quality and cupping to recognise specialty coffee;
- Market entry preparation, participation and follow-up.
- Assistance in what certification is suitable to your market entry strategy and coaching to obtain the certification you need;
- Assistance with CSR implementation;
- Invitations to join in the CBI Rwanda booth at different international trade fairs in 2021 and 2022;
- An Export Market Awareness Mission to the European market early in the programme.
We will pay special attention as well to the following subjects in the Rwanda coffee sector:
- Youth employment;
- Gender equality;
- Climate change;
- Efficient and effective multi-crop farm management;
What do we expect from our participants?
- A pro-active and flexible attitude;
- Commitment to the activities and external coaching for 4 years;
- Commitment and sufficient time investment to the tailor made action plan for your company;
- Ambition and motivation to take the next step with your company;
- Willingness and ability to invest in your company and in international market entry;
- Commitment to share with us on a yearly basis your EU export growth and employment growth.
Who can apply?
Eligible products: All types of Coffee
You can apply for this programme if your company meets these requirements:
- At least 51% locally owned;
- 25 to 500 employees;
- No joint venture with a company based in a country with a classification of UMIC or higher;
- Compliance or the willingness to comply with EU market requirements;
- No licensing commitments that prohibit or limit export possibilities of products to the EU;
- Competitive prices and sufficient production capacity;
- Management which is able to communicate in English;
- Willingness and capacity to invest in adaptations of, for instance, product assortment and production processes, if and as required by the European Market.