Cocoa and Coffee Guinea
The European market offers interesting opportunities for suppliers of cocoa and coffee in Guinea. Cocoa traders and processors have to meet stricter requirements for sustainability and traceability. Exporters that meet these requirements will find a growing market. An increasing number of European consumers is prepared to pay higher prices for high-quality coffee and chocolate that is traceable and has a special story. There is great momentum for further sustainable development of the cocoa and coffee supply chains in Guinea. This includes more professional export business, certification and improved marketing about the unique story of Guinea.
The Netherlands Centre for the Promotion of Imports from developing countries (CBI) can help you. Our Business Export Coaching project has already helped cocoa exporters from Central America and Peru, and coffee exporters from Ethiopia and Uganda develop successful business relations with European clients. This project is an extension of the already successful cocoa project in neighbouring countries Sierra Leone and Liberia.
What to expect from this CBI project
This project is for (aspiring) exporting SMEs and cooperatives in the cocoa and coffee sectors in Guinea. CBI offers technical assistance to these companies through a practical Business Export Coaching project. CBI prepares your company or cooperative with the skills and knowledge you need to enter the European market:
- Multiple-year one-on-one coaching for you and your staff on doing business in the European market. Coaching is aimed at your specific needs and given by highly-qualified CBI experts;
- Training courses about specific subjects, such as Market Access Requirements, certification and developing a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategy;
- Assistance with developing your Export Marketing Plan;
- Assistance in determining which certification suits your market entry and coaching to obtain this certification;
- Assistance with the implementation of your CSR Action Plan;
- Participation in a one-week, fully-financed Market Orientation Mission (MOM) to Europe;
- Guidance in preparation for, and participation in, leading international trade fairs or other market entry activities, such as international buyers missions.
Who can apply?
Do you have a cocoa or coffee business, or are you in charge of a cocoa or coffee cooperative in Guinea? Are you interested in exporting directly to different international markets? Check whether you meet the CBI requirements.
This project is designed for ambitious (aspiring) cocoa or coffee exporters from Guinea who want to expand their export activities in the European market, and meet the following criteria:
- Offer products in one of the following categories: cocoa, coffee.
- Cocoa-related products: beans, nibs, cocoa paste (mass or liquor), butter, powder or couverture, chocolate.
- Coffee beans: green or roasted.
- SMEs, producer associations or cooperatives have up to 250 employees
- At least 51% of the company is locally-owned in Guinea.
- Is not a joint venture with a company based in a country with a classification of LMIC or higher, for example, France.
- Follows or is willing to follow EU market requirements.
- Has no licensing commitments that prohibit or limit export possibilities of products to the EU.
- Has competitive prices and sufficient production capacity.
- There is a strong preference for management that can communicate in English.
- Willing and has the capacity to invest in adaptations of, for example, product assortment and production processes, if and as required by the EU market.
What do we expect from participants?
CBI is looking for ambitious and highly motivated SMEs and cooperatives that are:
- Fully committed to the project and the activities.
- Participating with the right people in all CBI visits, workshops and training sessions.
- Shows eagerness to actively pursue knowledge on the subjects discussed during individual support, workshops and training sessions.
- Demonstrates willingness to inform CBI about the company/cooperative’s export and sustainability progress. CBI will treat the provided information as confidential.
- Commits to invest, also in terms of staff allocation, in necessary adaptions to become successful in the EU market. For example, increasing sustainability and paying costs related to market entry and sustainability activities.
- Allows CBI and its partners to use the company’s name, logo and achievements for promotion of the project.
- All these agreements will be part of a commitment letter between CBI and your company or cooperative.
Quotes from cocoa project participants in neighbouring countries Sierra Leone & Liberia
- “I learnt about insurance and trade financing, and that chocolate makers want to know the story behind cocoa.”
- “I learnt about the process, costs and duration of certification.”
- “During the Market Orientation Mission, I learnt that the quality of the end product starts with the farmer.”
- “I found out that a good regulatory system by the government is very important.”
- “It was a good experience to see and feel chocolate machines and learn how they function.”
Are you interested?
For questions or more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Ask a question
Are you a European importer?
Are you looking for good, reliable suppliers in developing countries? Collaborate with us in one of our export coaching projects.Get involved in this project