Natural cosmetic ingredients getting boost during COVID-19 crisis
COVID-19 has increased consumer interest in natural & health products. Natural ingredients are gaining popularity in the cosmetics industry. And more and more often, cosmetic companies are formulating with such ingredients. Consumers are searching for natural products to improve their health and prevent diseases.
Ecovia Intelligence sees growing interest in natural ingredients with antibacterial and antiviral qualities. Such ingredients include aloe vera, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, propolis, and lemon myrtle.
Many of these ingredients are being used in hand sanitizers, soaps and cleaning products. Sales of hand sanitizer have been soaring since the virus outbreak. In the UK, sales increased by 255% in February 2020. Supply shortages led many cosmetic companies to increase production. In March, the luxury goods company LVMH started making hand sanitizer at its perfume factories in France. In the first month, it donated over 12 metric tonnes to 39 public hospitals in Paris.
The demand for aloe vera is high. This is due to its antibacterial and antiviral properties. Besides its use in personal care products, consumers are buying aloe vera gel to make hand sanitizer at home. Ancient Egyptians called aloe vera the ‘plant of immortality’. Rumour has it Cleopatra used it in her beauty regime over 20 centuries ago.
Eucalyptus oil is also experiencing a coronavirus boost. Native to Australia, aborigines have used the oil as a traditional medicine for centuries. Eucalyptus oil has virus-fighting properties. Because of this, the Indonesian Ministry of Agriculture is using it in coronavirus treatments. Eucalyptus oil-based ointments, balms, inhalers and diffusers have been developed to help reduce virus transmission.
COVID-19 is creating an opportunity for natural ingredient suppliers in developing countries. The crisis has increased consumer interest in natural & health products. Many retailers are reporting a sudden increase in sales.
Online resources will keep you informed about developments in Europe and the main European markets.
The following websites provide information on the effect of the coronavirus crisis.
- Cosmetics Europe represents the European cosmetics & personal care industry. Its COVID-19 Resource Platform provides industry updates.
- Cosmetics Design Europe provides news updates. These include the effect of coronavirus on the cosmetics industry.
- Cosmetics Business provides news on the cosmetics industry.
- The European Federation for Cosmetic Ingredients represents manufacturers of synthetic and natural ingredients for the cosmetic & personal care industry.
- The German government website gives detailed information on COVID-19 in Germany. This includes business and travel issues.
- The German Cosmetic, Toiletry, Perfumery and Detergent Association (IKW) is an industry and trade association. It is for manufacturers and distributors of cosmetic, toiletry, perfumery, detergents and household cleaning products in Germany.
- The French government website provides updated information on COVID-19. This includes business and travel issues.
- Fédération des Entreprises de la Beauté (FEBEA) represents the cosmetic, toiletry and perfumery industry in France. It provides regular updates on the effects of coronavirus on the industry (only in French).
- The UK government website gives detailed information on COVID-19 in the UK. This includes business and travel issues.
- The Cosmetic, Toiletry & Perfumery Association (CTPA) represents the cosmetic & personal care industry in the UK. The website gives coronavirus and Brexit implications.
- The Italian government website gives updated information on COVID-19 in Italy. This includes business and travel issues.
- Cosmetica Italy represents the cosmetic & personal care industry in Italy. It provides information on the implications of the coronavirus (only available in Italian).
- The Spanish government website gives updated information about COVID-19 in Spain. This includes business and travel issues. You can read news about coronavirus measures in English on El Pais.
- Asociacion Nacional de Perfumeria y Cosmética (STANPA) is the voice of the cosmetic, perfumery & personal care industry in Spain. It provides information on the implications of the coronavirus on these industries.
- The Dutch government website gives detailed information on COVID-19 in the Netherlands. This includes business and travel issues.
- The Dutch Cosmetics Association is the voice of Dutch cosmetic & personal care industry. It provides information on the implications of the coronavirus.
- Port of Rotterdam provides regular updates on the effect the coronavirus has on cargo handling at the largest European port.