Fish and Seafood Programme Senegal
Duration: 2019 to 2023
- Fish and Seafood
Closed for applications
The European market for fish is growing significantly and offers great opportunities for suppliers. An increasing number of European consumers is elevating their consumption of Fish. Senegal has competitive advantages as a supplier of fish, particularly because of its relatively high quality, potential for further improvement and the story there is to tell. There is a lot of opportunity in developing market demand for Senegalese Fish. This creates great opportunities for fish and seafood companies from Senegal. The main goal of this CBI project is to help the fish and seafood sector to improve its export position on the European market by taking away export marketing related bottlenecks and focus on sustainable production.
The programme will be built around the following strategies:
- Improve the connection between exporters and the European Market
- Strengthening the collaboration within the chain and with its supporting organisations related to export to Europe
- Improve the quality of processing inside the processors factories as well as the quality of fish handling amongst other chain actors through providing training and individual certification coaching.
- Development of value addition and innovation in both products and the value chain
- Incorporation of environmental and social improvements throughout the chain through capacitating exporters to develop and implement CSR plans in their own processes.
Each strategy mentioned above uses an integrated strategy combining both individual level support to SMES and improving the enabling environment. It is very important that services developed and delivered by the implementing partners are open to all SMEs in the sector and not only those selected for CBI to ensure uptake of all changes by the full sector. To achieve that we will pay special attention to Marketing & promotion & branding of the Senegal Fish sector and on establishing a EU Fish Trade community that is open to all.
The project has started in the summer of 2019 and will end in 2023.
Project participants and products
The application period for the programme has closed and we are currently selecting the companies that will be part of the programme.
You can contact CBI to find out more, or to get in touch with these exporters.
We will be working closely with the Ministery of Fisheries and Maritime Economy, the Export promotion Agency (ASEPEX), the Association of Exporting Traders of Fish and Seafood (UPAMES), and the Association of Ship owners and Fish industry of Senegal (GAIPES) to develop the sector further.